The Arc Wisconsin hosted the following webinar on April 9, 2020.
COVID-19 is causing extraordinary stress for the disability community. People are going without care, providers are closing. While Congress has passed some legislation to help, will it be focused on what people with disabilities, including those with intellectual and developmental disabilities say they need?
Things are changing daily. The Arc’s public policy staff is on the front lines in Washington, DC – fighting to ensure people with intellectual and developmental disabilities are represented.
Action Items Discussed on the Webinar: How you can influence Congress to get more HCBS Support in Wisconsin
- Use the #WeAreEssential campaign to ensure that Congress includes the vital needs of people with disabilities, their families, and the direct support professional workforce in the next coronavirus relief package.
- Use this campaign toolkit with sample social media for the upcoming weeks of action, including letters to the editor, and a social media graphic: Toolkit
- See a summary of the 4 weeks of action #WeAreEssential Weeks of Action.
The weeks of action are:
- 4/6: HCBS
- 4/13: PFMLA
- 4/20: SSA Fixes
- 4/27: Access to Medications, Supplies, PPE
COVID-19 Medical Rationing
Many states are creating policies around how to ration life-saving treatment during the COVID-19 crisis.
- See how The Arc and national disability advocates have been ensuring the rights of people with disabilities.
- See what The Arc Wisconsin has shared with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services State Medical Disaster Advisory Committee.
- Contact the Wisconsin Committee making these decisions.
Guidance on SSI and Stimulus Payments.
How to Ensure there are Supports in Wisconsin: Contact your State Legislator
The Wisconsin legislature will meet Tuesday, April 14th to decide on how to get support to people with disabilities and others in the COVID-19 crisis. The Survival Coalition sent the Legislature this letter. Share this letter with your State Legislator and tell them how you are being impacted TODAY!